- Express APPRECIATION – listen to your coworker’s perspective, find merit in it, and communicate your understanding.
- Build AFFILIATION – look for ways to connect; face challenges together, side-by-side.
- Respect AUTONOMY – be careful not to tell the other what to do.
- Acknowledge STATUS – respect the experience and expertise of the other; when status is recognized, people feel more calm, relieved, and relaxed.
- Make ROLES more fulfilling – help people craft roles that are meaningful and effective.
– from Roger Fisher and Daniel Shapiro, Beyond Reason: Using Emotions As You Negotiate